Saturday, January 11, 2014

If I had a million dollars, I....

This weeks Finish the Sentence Friday's topic is "If I had a million dollars, I...".  Before I write my blog post, I need to give a quick shout out to the founders of Finish the Sentence Friday.
 
So, thank you to the lovely bloggers below.  Check out their pages and get linked up!
 
Janine's Confessions of A Mommyaholic
 
Now on with the blogging.  So a couple weeks back, there was a super mega power ball millions lotto or something like that.  But the moral of the story is that there was a really big winning available.  Like tens of millions.  I was assisting with a move at work.  As you may or may not know, I work in affordable housing.  Many of our tenants started out homeless before finding homes with us.  During this move, a group of tenants were discussing what they would do with all of that money.  Some of their answers really surprised me.  Their first stop would be to the organizations that had helped them when they needed help, the churches, the shelters etc.  I was amazed by those answers and it made me glad that I do what I do.
 
Now to my greedy answers.....
 
How can I finish the sentence "If I had a million dollars, I..." after the above paragraph without starting with donating to charity.  But I would think instead of donating a lot of money to one charity, I would rather donate smaller amounts to people in need.  Like that single lady down the street with three kids who needs a new car.  Or the kids at the local school that need new coats.  That homeless guy on the off ramp.  I bet he could use a good meal and a dry pair of socks.  I think that is how I would rather give money back.
 
Then what to do with the rest of it.  I would pay off my own debt.  The Smooch and I don't have much just a student loan and a mortgage.  I think maybe a nice vacation for The Smooch and I would be next.  We would give some to our parents to ensure that they could really enjoy their retirement.  They have each given us so much and it would really be nice to pay them back in some way.
 
And that's probably about all, because who are we kidding, a million dollars isn't going very far.  After taxes, paying off debt, giving some to the rents and donating to charity, we wouldn't really have much left.  I remember when I was a kid, a million dollars seemed like so much money.  Now it really isn't much at all.  But let's be clear, if someone gave me a million dollars, I wouldn't turn it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment