Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I am becoming my parents' child...

I am becoming my parents' child.  How can I become something that I already am?  Good question.  What I mean to say is that I am suddenly becoming the child my parents tried to make me be when I was an actual child.  Does that clear it up?  Yeah, didn't think so.  So when I was kid, my mom nagged me a lot.  It was sort of a hobby.  Nagging and making me miserable.  When the weather got cold, I was always that dorky kid wearing a huge winter coat and gloves and scarves and hats and boots. 


I looked like that kid from The Christmas Story.  I couldn't put my arms on.  I had to pack my shoes in my backpack and then change from my boots into my regular shoes.  "But whhhhyyyyyy..."  I used to whine each winter.  "I want to look cute during winter like the other kids.  I don't want to look like the marshmallow man."    My parents always gave the parent answer, "because we love you and we want you to be warm enough on the bus to school and at recess.  And what if the bus breaks down and you have to walk somewhere to get help or to another bus."  My response was also always the same, they aren't going to make some little girl walk for help.  I am adorable and the big kids will always carry me.



Now that I am older and wiser, I realize I am suddenly following my parents advice.  I wear snow boots to work when it snows or is really cold.  I even go as far as to wear an extra pair of thicker socks.  I wear a big winter coat that goes down to my knees, I wear gloves and a hat and a scarf.  I even take it a step farther.  I carry extra socks, hats and gloves in my car.  Along with a snow shovel, salt, tire pump, car type tools, battery charger and about a million other things that I never need.  But I really believe that I never need those things because I am always prepared.

Oh my god... Am I becoming my parents?  NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO........

No comments:

Post a Comment